How to Shop for Seafood Like an Experienced Buyer?
![]() |
| How to Shop for Seafood Like an Experienced Buyer? |
The first time I bought a whole fish, I genuinely had no idea what I was doing. I stood at the counter way too long, poked at things I probably shouldn’t have poked, and eventually just pointed at whatever looked the least intimidating. The guy behind the counter was patient about it, but I could tell he’d seen that exact look on a hundred other faces before mine. Confused. A little embarrassed. Trying to act like I knew what “sushi grade” meant when I really, really didn’t.
It took a while, and honestly a string of pretty mediocre dinners, before I figured out how to shop for seafood with any real confidence. So if you’re where I was a few years back, standing there overthinking it, this is the stuff I wish someone had just told me straight up instead of making me piece it together fillet by fillet, trip after trip.
Smell is the first thing, and it’s probably the easiest tell there is. Fresh fish shouldn’t smell “fishy” in that overwhelming way that hits you before you’re even close to the counter. It should smell like the ocean, clean, a little briny, maybe faintly sweet if anything. If something smells sour, or just too strong, that’s usually your answer right there. You don’t need to be an expert to catch that. Your nose already knows more than you’d give it credit for.
Eyes matter too, assuming you’re looking at a whole fish and not just a fillet. Clear, bright eyes, maybe slightly bulging, that’s what you want to see. Cloudy or sunken eyes usually mean it’s been sitting around longer than it should have. I didn’t really believe this the first time someone told me, it sounded like one of those old wives’ tale type things people say without really knowing why. But once you compare a genuinely fresh fish to one that isn’t, right next to each other, you notice it almost instantly. It’s not subtle once you know what you’re looking at.
The flesh should feel firm, not mushy, and it should bounce back a bit when you press on it. If your finger leaves a little dent that just kind of sits there, that’s not great. Same with color, really. Fillets should look vibrant, not dull or grayish around the edges. And you don’t want a lot of liquid pooling underneath the fish either, because that’s usually a sign it’s been frozen and thawed rather than actually fresh off the boat, so to speak.
Shellfish plays by its own rules, and this is where I’ve seen more people trip up than with fish, honestly. Shrimp should feel firm and smell clean, nothing ammonia-like at all. Clams, mussels, oysters, they need to be alive right up until you cook them, so the shells should be closed, or close up on their own if you give them a light tap. Anything that stays open, or feels weirdly light for its size, skip it. Sounds simple enough written down like this, but standing at the counter with a dozen little decisions to make in under a minute, it’s easy to second-guess every single one.
Timing matters more than people think too. Seafood counters usually get deliveries on specific days, and if you can figure out which days those are for wherever you shop, you’re basically stacking the odds in your favor before you even walk in. Just ask whoever’s working the counter. Most of them will tell you straight, especially if you’re not rushing them and actually seem curious rather than just making small talk to be polite.
Where you shop changes a lot of this too, more than I expected going in. There’s a real difference between grabbing something out of a big chain cooler and going somewhere that actually specializes in seafood. If you’re anywhere near central Indiana, checking out a proper seafood market in Carmel Indiana is worth doing at least once, honestly, just to see what a fresher baseline actually tastes like. Once you’ve had that comparison sitting in your memory, it’s kind of hard to go back to not caring where your fish comes from.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions either, even ones that feel a little basic. I used to feel weird doing this, like I was bothering someone who had better things to do than explain fish to me. But most people working a seafood counter actually like talking about what they sell, in my experience anyway. Ask when something came in. Ask what they’d recommend if you’re cooking for a specific occasion. Ask how to store it once you’re home too, because that part matters just as much as the actual buying. A fish that was perfect at the counter can go downhill fast if you don’t handle it right for the rest of the day.
Storage probably deserves its own whole conversation, there’s more nuance to it than most people assume walking in. Ice, how it’s wrapped, how long you actually have before you need to cook it, all of that plays into whether your seafood ends up tasting the way it’s supposed to. If you want to go deeper into that side of things, our guide on Smart Seafood Shopping Tips for Better Meals and Better Value covers it in more detail, and honestly it’s worth reading before your next trip, not after you’ve already messed something up.
At the end of the day, shopping for seafood isn’t some mysterious skill only chefs have figured out. It’s mostly just paying attention, trusting your senses a little more, and not being too self-conscious to ask questions that might feel obvious. I still get it wrong sometimes, if I’m being honest, probably more than I’d like to admit. But way less often than I used to, and every trip teaches me something I didn’t quite know the time before. That’s really all “experienced buyer” means anyway, when you get down to it. Just someone who’s paid attention a few more times than the person standing next to them at the counter.

Comments
Post a Comment