Understanding Seafood Labels Before You Make a Purchase

Understanding Seafood Labels Before You Make a Purchase
Understanding Seafood Labels Before You Make a Purchase

I used to just grab whatever fish looked decent and call it a day. No real thought behind it, no glancing at labels beyond checking the price. Then one day a friend who used to work at a fish market started rattling off terms while we were shopping together, “wild caught,” “farm raised,” “previously frozen,” and I realized I had absolutely no idea what half of it actually meant. I’d been buying seafood for years and couldn’t have told you the difference if you’d asked.

So I started paying attention, asking questions, looking things up when I got home and had a weird term stuck in my head. It turns out seafood labels carry a lot more information than people usually bother reading, and once you know what to look for, shopping gets a lot less confusing.

“Wild caught” versus “farm raised” is probably the label people notice first, mostly because it’s usually printed in bigger letters than everything else. Wild caught means the fish was caught in its natural habitat, ocean, river, wherever it actually lives. Farm raised means it was raised in a controlled environment, often in pens or tanks. Neither one is automatically better, and honestly I used to assume wild was always the superior choice, but that’s not really true across the board. It depends a lot on the specific fish and how the farming or fishing was actually done. Some farmed fish are raised really well. Some wild-caught fish come from waters that aren’t managed responsibly. The label alone doesn’t tell you everything, it’s more of a starting point than a final answer.

Then there’s “fresh” versus “previously frozen,” which trips a lot of people up, myself included for a long time. Here’s the thing nobody tells you, a lot of fish labeled “fresh” was actually frozen at some point and then thawed before it hit the counter. That’s not necessarily a bad thing either, modern flash-freezing methods lock in freshness pretty well, sometimes better than fish that sat around unfrozen for a few days. But if you’re specifically looking for something that’s never been frozen, you kind of have to ask directly, because the label doesn’t always spell it out clearly.

Country of origin labeling is another one worth actually reading instead of skimming past. It’ll usually tell you where the seafood came from, which matters for a couple of reasons. Different countries have different regulations around fishing practices and water quality, so knowing the origin gives you a little more context about what you’re actually buying. It’s not a perfect system, and honestly some of it feels a bit vague when you read it closely, but it’s still worth a glance before you decide.

Sustainability labels are something I didn’t used to care about at all, if I’m being honest, but I’ve started paying more attention over the last couple years. These usually show up as some kind of certification stamp or seal, and they’re meant to indicate that the seafood was caught or farmed using practices that don’t wreck the surrounding ecosystem. I won’t pretend I fully understand every certification out there, there seem to be a handful of different ones depending on where you’re shopping, but even a basic awareness helps you make slightly more informed choices if that’s something you care about.

Size and grade labels matter too, especially for shrimp, which get sorted by count per pound. A label that says something like “16/20” means there are sixteen to twenty shrimp per pound, so smaller numbers mean bigger shrimp. I didn’t know this for embarrassingly long, and just assumed the numbers meant something about quality rather than size. Once you understand it, it actually makes shopping a lot easier because you know exactly what you’re getting instead of guessing based on how things look through the glass.

None of these labels really mean much, though, if the seafood itself isn’t handled well after it leaves the counter, or if it wasn’t fresh to begin with. A label can only tell you so much. The rest comes down to actually knowing what to look for in person, how something smells, how it looks, whether the person selling it seems to actually know what they’re talking about. That’s part of why where you shop matters just as much as reading the fine print. If you’re in the area, stopping by an actual seafood market in Springfield IL rather than relying purely on packaging can tell you a lot more than any label ever could, since you can ask questions directly and actually see what you’re buying before it’s wrapped up.

If you want to get better at reading the situation beyond just the labels, things like freshness cues, storage, timing your trip right, our piece on Smart Seafood Shopping Tips for Better Meals and Better Value goes into a lot of that in more depth, and it pairs pretty well with everything covered here.

At the end of the day, seafood labels aren’t there to confuse you, even if it feels that way sometimes when you’re standing in front of the case trying to decide between five nearly identical options. They’re just information, and once you know what most of it actually means, shopping gets a lot less intimidating. I still don’t catch everything, and I probably never will completely, there’s always some new term or certification I haven’t run into yet. But I read a lot more now than I used to, and that alone has made a real difference in what ends up on my plate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Guide to Fish Markets: Freshness, Sustainability, and Buying Tips

The Ultimate Guide to Grocery Delivery: Convenience, Savings, and Smart Shopping Tips

Top 7 Types of Fish You Should Buy from Your Local Fish Market